It wouldn’t be new years without some reminiscing about the year that was. This survey has come from Jamie over at Perpetual Page Turner!
1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
My favourite of ALL the books I read this year was definitely The Diviners by Libba Bray. Just an epic read with a kick ass story line involving a murder mystery, boys and speakeasys!
As for favourites in genres, I am cheating as there’s no way I had just one fave!
Contemporary YA: Adorkable by Sarra Manning, Everything Left Unsaid by Jessica Davidson, Burn For Burn by Jenny Han and Speechless by Hannah Harrington
Dystopian YA: What’s Left Of Me by Kat Zhang, Article 5 by Kristen Simmons, Fever by Lauren DeStafano and Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver
Sci-fi/supernatural/paranormal-ish (big lumping together): The Hallowed Ones by Laura Bickle, The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater and Across The Universe by Beth Revis
Fantasy: Incarnate by Jodi Meadows
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Insurgent by Veronica Roth… I liked it, but I struggled with the first 100 pages. This was one of my most anticipated books of 2012 and I feel it suffered a little from middle book syndrome.
Runners up to Fathomless by Jackson Pearce and Between The Lines by Jodi Picoult.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
Probably The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. I was pretty vocal about not wanting to read it for a bit due to the hype and me not expecting it to live up to it, but I had to eat my words with this one!
4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
The Divergent Series by Veronica Roth and The Chemical Garden series by Lauren DeStefano.
5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa.. I’m not a fantasy kind of girl, but this series had me falling in love with the genre.
6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
Not new authors, but new to *me* in 2012 – John Green, Laura Bickle, Jenny Han, Kat Zhang, Julie Kagawa, Robin LaFevers and Beth Revis.
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Both books because of the time period they were set in: Grave Mercy by Robin LaFevers and Venom by Fiona Paul.
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
The Diviners by Libba Bray – so much happening in this book and a whopping near 600 pages to get through… I didn’t put this down until I finished!
9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
Oh… I don’t ever re-read books. I feel like why re-read books when you could be spending that time discovering something new? Plus, I can’t re-read things when I know the ending. lol
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
I have a few:
11. Most memorable character in 2012?
Hazel from The Fault In Our Stars by John Green… oh how I cried. I loved her and Augustus and the whole book in general.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
Both Everything Left Unsaid by Jessica Davidson for its honesty even though it was about an uncomfortable subject (cancer).
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
The Fault In Our Stars by John Green -it made me cry uncontrollably.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
The Iron Fey series by Julie Kagawa… sooooooooo good!
15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
“You are bad and mean and I’m going to spit on your cupcakes.”
― Sarra Manning, Adorkable
“When the zipper snaps open, Ben pauses, his breath hot in my ear. “Janelle Tenner,” he whispers. “I fucking love you.”
― Elizabeth Norris, Unraveling
“When she wanted to escape her life, she read books”
― Jodi Picoult, Between the Lines
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?
Longest = The Diviners by Libba Bray (almost 600 pages)
Shortest = The House At The End Of The Street by Lily Blake (about 200)
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic scene)
THAT scene in Everything Left Unsaid by Jessica Davidson. I sobbed… OMG.
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
Fever by Lauren DeStefano!
20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Ten by Gretchen McNeil (Twitter recommendation) – it was SO good! And The Hallowed Ones by Laura Bickle which turned out to be one of my fave 2012 reads!