“Fairy-tale city. From the air, red rooftops hug a kink in a dark river, and by night the forested hills appear as spans of black nothing against the dazzle of the lit castle, the spiking Gothic towers, the domes great and small. The river captures all the lights and teases them out, long and wavering, and the side-slashing rain blurs it all to a dream” - Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Hi everyone. During my recent trip I added some pictures to Twitter that were a combination of two of my biggest loves – Prague and Daughter of Smoke and Bone. It was suggested that I do a post of my pictures relating the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series – so here it is! I cannot describe Prague in any way that does it justice – but Laini Taylor certainly can! All quotes in this post are from the Daughter of Smoke and Bone series by Laini Taylor.
“The falling snow and the early hour conspired to paint Prague ghostly, like a tin type photograph, all silver and haze” – Daughter of Smoke and Bone
“Icon of Prague, the medieval bridge crossed the Vltava between Old Town and the Little Quarter. Gothic bridge towers rose on both sides, and the whole span—pedestrian-only—was lined by monumental statues of saints” - Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Charles Bridge in Daughter of Smoke and Bone:
- Karou crossed the Charles bridge many times throughout DoSaB during her time in Prague.
- Charles Bridge was where Zuzana had her giant puppeteer set up, and she became a discarded, but amazingly awesome marionette.
- Akiva also watched Karou (and Zuzana and Mik) on the Charles Bridge before his fight very public with Karou.
- The Charles Bridge is where everything about his past and present clicked for Akiva – where he realised why Brimstone had sent Karou the wishbone and who Karou really was.
- But most importantly, this is where the fight happened. Yes, that fight. Where Akiva, Liraz and Hazael exposed themselves and brothers and sister fought over one blue-haired girl.
“Above it all loomed the castle on the hill, its silhouette as sharp as thorns. By night it was floodlit, bathed in eerie light” – Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Prague Castle in Daughter of Smoke and Bone:
- Karou’s apartment had a view that was “a direct line over the rooftops of Old Town to the castle”.
- Zuz’s puppeteer and marionette show on the Charles Bridge had a “photo-perfect backdrop of Prague Castle on the hill”.
- Karou and Akiva flew towards the Prague Castle before landing at the “cathedral at its heart” to have breakfast.
St. Vitus Cathedral
“It was a Gothic beast, carved and weathered like some tortured cliff battered by ages of storms” – Daughter of Smoke and Bone
St. Vitus Cathedral in Daughter of Smoke and Bone:
- Karou and Akiva flew to cathedral the morning after their mid-air flight and had breakfast perched “upon the cupola of the bell tower”
This is the view that Karou and Akiva had that morning as they watched the sun rise
“There was a deceptive tangling of alleys that gave you, gargoyles tiptoeing away, stones like puzzle pieces rearranging themselves into new configurations while you weren’t looking. Prague entranced you, lured you in, like the mythic fey who trick travellers deep into forest until they’re lost beyond hope” - Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Old Town in Daughter of Smoke and Bone:
- Kaz’s vampire tour was in Old Town.
- Karou used her knowledge of the “cobbled maze of Old Town” to lure out a stalker so she could confront them (this was Akiva, and it resulted in the mid-air fight).
- Karou’s apartment is located in Old Town – her apartment had a view “over the rooftops of Old Town”.
“The towers of Týn Church reared up like devil’s horns” - Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Týn Church in Daughter of Smoke and Bone:
- “The bells of Týn Church tolled nine” during Karou and Akiva’s in-air flight along Karlova.
- As Akiva watched Karou’s apartment from a rooftop “The towers of Týn Church reared up like devil’s horns behind the row of buildings across the street, in one of which was Karou’s flat”
“There’s the mill wheel just beside the bridge – the cute wooden mill wheel every tourist to Prague snaps a photo of” - Night of Cake and Puppets
Devil’s Stream in Daughter of Smoke and Bone:
- Karou and Zuz where constantly near the Devil’s Stream. Even Kishmish frequented there. That is because Poison Kitchen is nearby! The girl’s favourite café filled with gas masks and coffins is located beyond a walled graveyard down by Devil’s Stream. Sadly I could not find Poison Kitchen – considering it is fictional, I would have been surprised if I did… but I still hoped I would.
Devil’s Stream in Night of Cake and Puppets:
- Devil’s Stream is where it all started for Zuzana and Mik. Thanks to some treasure maps, our favourite rabid fairy and violin boy finally found each other at Devil’s Stream.
Sadly this little guy wasn’t giving up where Poison Kitchen is hidden
“But on the quieter lanes, the wintry peace might have hailed from another time. Snow and stone and ghostlight” - Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Maltese Square in Daughter of Smoke and Bone:
- Karou and Zuz go to art school in a pink Baroque Palace near the Maltese Square.
- This is also where Kaz “nibbled” Karou’s neck on her way to school one cold morning.
“If found, please return to Králodvorská 59, no. 12, Prague. You will be rewarded with cosmic goodwill and hard cash. Thank you” – Daughter of Smoke and Bone
Although Karou’s apartment itself may not exist, the street does!
Karou’s apartment in Daughter of Smoke and Bone:
- Karou threw Kaz through a window of her apartment building.
- This is where Karou recovered from her injuries from her first fight with Akiva after she was thrown out by Brimstone.
- Karou told Zuzana that the creatures from her art where real here.
- Kishmish flew to Karou’s apartment to find her, to give her the wishbone from Brimstone.
- Akiva spent the night with Karou here after their fight in the middle of Prague.
“Český Krumlov, the little jewel box of a city in southern Bohemia” – Night of Cake and Puppets
Český Krumlov in Night of Cake and Puppets:
- In Night of Cake and Puppets, you get to hear the story of Karou’s first visit to Český Krumlov, some of Zuz’s family history – and the story of ‘The Puppet That Bites’.
There were some nasty looking puppets and marionettes, but thankfully none that bite. But I did find a Karou marionette!
I hope you enjoyed my stroll through the Czech Republic, the Daughter of Smoke and Bone way!!!
Edit: I have another Daughter of Smoke and Bone Tour of Prague post! This edition has new pictures and new quotes and visits some new spots in Prague – including Brimstone’s Door! Don’t believe me? Visit the 2016 edition here.